ELECT EWGEN - Genetics elective
Course Director: Ryan Jones , M.D.
Elective Category: Online
Administrative Contact: Felicia Jackson
Number of Students Per 2 Week Block: 20 Elective Available During Blocks: 4 - 7 only
Course Code : EWGEN Non-LSUHSC Students Allowed: No
Specific Features of this Elective:
This 2-week elective web-based rotation will utilize scientifically researched and approved modules on Genetics. Students may complete the assigned coursework from any Internet accessible location.
This is a Pass/Fail - Must Pass course. All course requirements must be completed by the end of the Block in which the course is taken. After completion of all portions of the assigned 2-week course, students will take a multiple choice exam ending with a cumulative score of 75% or greater.
Should a student’s cumulative score fall below 75%, he/she will repeat courses at a chosen location. Students are only allowed to repeat the exam once. Failure to pass the exam on a total of two attempts will lead to repeating the entire course.
Professional Burden on student: While this course has been designed to aid students in pursuing interviews and travel, it is also to foster skills in lifelong independent learning. Before you begin the rotation you are recommended to do the following:
- Reflect upon your individual goal for this rotation
- Review the course requirements on the first day of the rotation so you know how much time you will need to dedicate.
- Review your travel plans, Internet availability in advance, all of the material can be downloaded to your computers and if you are going to be traveling, It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the ability to review your course work before you leave.
Professional attributes are as important in this rotation as in others. Failure to complete course requirements within the specified duration will be considered unprofessional.
Software requirements: Most of these modules have versions in either PowerPoint, PDF or webinars that require a flash player version. Please make sure you have the appropriate software to review the information
Resources for Learning
Welcome to the web based genetic course. Following are your assignments:
Use the given links to go through the following diseases:
Use the link below to go through the following webinars/pdfs and fact sheets. The objectives for each activity are stated in the beginning:
- Integrating Genetics in Primary Care-Why Does it Matter?
- Building an Accurate Family History, Constructing a Pedigree-An Overview for Primary Care
- Ordering the Right Tests-Genetics in Primary Care
- Genetics Evaluation, Referrals, and More-What To Do Next (only PDFs)
- Myths of Primary Care Providers and Patients/Families Regarding Genetics-Setting the Record Straight
- Heard About Genetic Counseling? What Does it Mean for You, Patients and Families?(only PDFs)
- Genetics Across the Lifespan-Putting It All Together (only PDFs)
- Epigenetics-What Your Patients are Asking, What You Need to Know (only PDFs)
You will be able to take the quiz any time during the last three days (Friday, Saturday or Sunday) of the course. The quiz will be a multiple choice exam assigned to you in ExamSoft. Once you start the quiz, you will have 1 hour to complete it. If you have conflicts with the available quiz dates, you should contact Ms. Jackson to make arrangements for the exam to be given on a different date
Blocks 4-7 only