ELECT EFAME - Primary Care-Community Hospital
COURSE DIRECTOR(S):Tammy Davis, M.D. PHONE: 318.675.6571
ELECTIVE DIRECTOR(S): Robert Moore, M.D., Program Director
DURATION OF ELECTIVE: 4 Weeks CONTACT: Christy Hay
LOCATION OF ELECTIVE: Rapides Regional Medical Center and Family Practice Medical Center,
821 Elliott Street, Alexandria, LA
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 2
ELECTIVE OFFERED DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: EFAME
NOTE: THIS ELECTIVE MAY NOT BE DROPPED WITHIN 2 MONTHS OF THE STARTING DATE.
The student will have the opportunity to observe and participate in all aspects of the practice of primary care medicine in a variety of rural settings. Practices are broad in scope and may include introduction to medical specialties from a primary care perspective; depending on site. AHEC support may be possible.
Objectives: The student will:
• provide detailed and comprehensive care in a community hospital setting with faculty supervision.
• To specifically:
* describe the unique situation and setting of the community hospital and associated practice of family medicine.
* work with LSUHSC-S residents and faculty in the community hospital and Family Practice
Center, seeing all types of patients as a junior colleague.
* recognize dermatological problems.
* recognize and treat a large variety of medical problems.
* recognize and treat a variety of pediatric problems.
* list indications for and use of cryotherapy.
* list indications for and proficient use of myofascial injections.
* participate/perform excisional treatment of common family practice skin problems under observation of the attending.
* participate/perform endoscopy under observation of the attending.
Typical activities include initial work-up, management, and treatment of patients; hospital and nursing home rounds, observation and assisting during surgical procedures; and exposure to business aspects of the practice of medicine. All activities are under the direct supervision of the preceptor. Office and call schedules are determined by preceptor. The student physician will have an opportunity to evaluate community hospital medical care to determine the likelihood of a career in this type of medicine.
READING ASSIGNMENTS - As assigned by individual preceptors Refer to SIFMB for additional information.
Visiting Students: Only visiting students from U.S., Canadian, and Caribbean universities will be considered. Students must
present a CA along with documentation of passing scores of 80 or above on initial attempts of Step 1 and Step 2 CK/CS to be
considered. Students must submit all documentation with the application