ELECT EWEKG - Electrocardiography elective
Course Director: Ryan Jones , M.D.
Elective Category: Online
Number of Students Per 2 Week Block: 20 Elective Available During Blocks: 4 - 7 only
Course Code : EWEKG Non-LSUHSC Students Allowed: No
Specific Features of this Elective:
This 2-week elective web-based rotation involves self-paced, and self-directed learning. Students may complete the assigned coursework from any Internet accessible location.
The major course goal is to achieve competence in Basic Electrocardiography Skills. A secondary goal of the course is to explore self- directed learning so students may be able to further their education while interviewing.
At the end of this 2 week rotation each student will be able to:
- Analyze an EKG correctly.
- Recognize the rate, rhythm and axis of EKGs
- Describe the normal morphology of each waveform in each lead
- Diagnose abnormalities like LVH, RVH, on the EKG
- Diagnose the various manifestations of ischemia on an EKG
- Differentiate between left and right bundle branch blocks
- Describe the appearance of different electrolyte abnormalities on the EKG
- Differentiate various wide and narrow complex tachycardia
- Differentiate between the AV blocks
- Interpret the rhythm
- Use time management techniques effectively
- Develop an effective system of independent learning
This is a Pass/Fail - Must Pass course. All course requirements must be completed by the end of the Block in which the course is taken. After completion of all portions of the assigned 2-week course, students will take a multiple choice exam ending with a cumulative score of 75% or greater.
Should a student’s cumulative score fall below 75%, he/she will repeat courses at a chosen location. Students are only allowed to repeat the exam once. Failure to pass the exam on a total of two attempts will lead to repeating the entire course.
Professional Burden on student: While this course has been designed to aid students in pursuing interviews and travel, it is also to foster skills in lifelong independent learning. Before you begin the rotation you are recommended to do the following:
- Reflect upon your individual goal for this rotation
- Review the course requirements on the first day of the rotation so you know how much time you will need to dedicate.
- Review your travel plans, Internet availability in advance, all of the material can be downloaded to your computers and if you are going to be traveling, It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the ability to review your course work before you leave.
Professional attributes are as important in this rotation as in others. Failure to complete course requirements within the specified duration will be considered unprofessional.
Resources for Learning
Welcome to the web based ECG course.:
-Please complete all lessons on the UW-Madison Website (Videos Not Required)
-Complete case numbers 4,9,10,25,36,58,57,81
You will be able to take the quiz any time during the last three days (Friday, Saturday or Sunday) of the course. The quiz will be a multiple choice exam assigned to you in ExamSoft. Once you start the quiz, you will have 1 hour to complete it. If you have conflicts with the available quiz dates, you should contact Ms. Jackson to make arrangements for the exam to be given on a different date
Blocks 4-7 only