SELECT SIOGB - Inpatient Acting Internship-Gynecologic Pelvic Surgery
SELECTIVE CATEGORY: Inpatient Acting Internship
SELECTIVE DIRECTOR: Mila Shah-Bruce, M.D.
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT: 675.7440
LOCATION: University Hospital - Shreveport
NUMBER OF STUDENTS PER 4 WEEK BLOCK: 2
SELECTIVE AVAILABLE DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: SIOGB
Primary Goals of Selective:
To provide a comprehensive surgical and clinical experience in gynecologic pelvic surgery.
The Acting Intern will be able to:
1. (PC, I&CS) Gather essential and accurate information about their patient and present it in an ordered meaningful way with a logical management plan.
2. (PC) Make informed recommendations about diagnostic and therapeutic interventions (surgical and non surgical) based on patient information and preferences.
3. (PC) Participate in surgical procedures as an assistant to the primary surgeon.
4. (PC) Understand and perform normal post operative care and follow up of surgical patients.
5. (MK) Demonstrate knowledge of gynecologic anatomy.
6. (I&CS) Counsel and educate patients and their families in clinical, preoperative, operative and post operative setting.
7. (SBP) Work with health care professionals including those from other disciplines to provide patient-focused care.
8. (PBL&I) Use information technology to support patient care decisions and patient education.
9. (P) Show willingness and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with all members of the gynecologic service.
10. (P) Be present and on time for all assigned academic activities and let their team know where they are at all times.
Resources for Learning:
Participating Faculty: All LSU Health GYN faculty
Texts: Williams Gynecology 2nd ed - Schorge, Schaffer, Halvorson, Hoffman, Bradshaw, Cunningham
Case Files in Obstetrics and Gynecology 4th ed- Toy, Baker, Ross, Jennings
Evaluation: The final grade will be Pass or Fail.
The Acting Intern will be evaluated by the faculty and or residents who are assigned to the specific block period using a standard competency based evaluation form based on the above objectives.
The Acting Intern will turn in 4 different comprehensive written history and physical exams with detailed assessment, differential diagnosis and plan of care covering different types of benign gynecologic conditions.
The acting intern will submit weekly a log of patients who were seen by the student with listing of chief problems or diagnosis and of self-directed learning activities that were accomplished during the week. The submitted log will be the springboard for weekly meetings with the faculty coordinator or designated faculty for discussions to encourage critical thinking development.