ELECT EOOMS - Clerkship in Outpatient Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
ELECTIVE DIRECTOR(S): Jennifer E. Woerner, DMD, MD, FACS PHONE: 318-675-6036
DURATION OF ELECTIVE: 4 Weeks
LOCATION OF ELECTIVE: LSU Health Sciences Center/ Willis Knighton
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 3 MINIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 1
ELECTIVE OFFERED DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: EOOMS
- The goal of this block is for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Tracked medical students to learn outpatient assessment and management of routine office based oral and maxillofacial diseases.
- During the course each student will:
- Maintain and document a patient log
- Perform and document at least 5 Head and Neck Exams under the supervision of a senior resident
- Perform and document at least 10 local anesthesia blocks (mandibular inferior alveolar nerve blocks, lingual nerve blocks, greater palatine blocks)
- Perform and document assistance in extraction of at least 20 a total of unerupted and impacted teeth
- Assist in the management of soft and hard tissue recontouring of 15 pre-prosthetic patients.
- Understand the different methods of oral rehabilitation (non-implant and implant treatment plans).Document and give 5 case presentations on treatment planning of partially and fully edentulous patients to the supervising attending in clinic.
SPECIFIC DUTIES OF SENIOR STUDENTS
- Active evaluation of patients in the out-patient setting, under supervision of residents and faculty
- Participating in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Outpatient surgery cases in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery department clinics.
- Peterson’s Principles of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (3rd ed.), Miloro, Ghali, Larsen, Waite, 2012
HOURS PER WEEK
CONF 3 HRS WARD 5 HRS LAB HRS LIBRARY HRS
OR 16 HRS CLINIC 16 HRS LECTURE HRS READING HRS
TOTAL NUMBER OF HOURS PER WEEK: 40