ELECT EWDER - Dermatology elective
Course Director: Ryan Jones , M.D.
Elective Category: Online
Administrative Contact: Felicia Jackson
Number of Students Per 2 Week Block: 20 Elective Available During Blocks: 4 - 7 only
Course Code : EWDER Non-LSUHSC Students Allowed: No
Specific Features of this Elective:
This 2-week elective web-based rotation will utilize scientifically researched and approved modules on Dermatology. Students may complete the assigned coursework from any Internet accessible location.
The primary course goal is to provide students with a basis in dermatology so they may be competent in their future training. A secondary goal of the course is to provide an educational medium while students are pursuing interviews.
At the end of this 2-week rotation each student will be able to:
- Develop a systematic approach to the skin examination
- Perform a full body skin examinations in a clinical setting
- Recognize and describe various dermatological conditions seen in the clinical setting.
- Recommend an initial treatment plan for a patient presenting with a specific dermatological condition
- Describe the various morphologies of inflammatory disorders
- Describe the various morphologies of infectious skin disorders
- Recognize the utility of KOH examination and interpreting the results
- Describe the morphology of reactive disorders
- Differentiate the manifestations of Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, and drug-induced hypersensitivity syndrome
- Identify and describe the morphology of benign and malignant neoplasms.
- Determine when to refer a patient for further evaluation by a dermatologist
- Develop an effective self-study approach
This is a Pass/Fail - Must Pass course. All course requirements must be completed by the end of the Block in which the course is taken. After completion of all portions of the assigned 2-week course, students will take a multiple choice exam ending with a cumulative score of 75% or greater. Should a student’s cumulative score fall below 75%, he/she will repeat courses at a chosen location. Students are only allowed to repeat the exam once. Failure to pass the exam on a total of two attempts will lead to repeating the entire course.
Professional Burden on student: While this course has been designed to aid students in pursuing interviews and travel, it is also to foster skills in lifelong independent learning. Before you begin the rotation you are recommended to do the following:
- Reflect upon your individual goal for this rotation
- Review the course requirements on the first day of the rotation so you know how much time you will need to dedicate.
- Review your travel plans, Internet availability in advance, all of the material can be downloaded to your computers and if you are going to be traveling, It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the ability to review your course work before you leave.
Professional attributes are as important in this rotation as in others. Failure to complete course requirements within the specified duration will be considered unprofessional.
Software requirements: Most of these modules have versions in PowerPoint, PDF or webinars that require a flash player version. Please make sure you have the appropriate software to review the information
Resources for Learning
Welcome to the web based dermatology course. Following are your assignments:
Use the American Academy of Dermatology website:
Medical Student Core Curriculum
Review goals and objectives for the curriculum (in left hand column on website).
Once goals & objectives have been reviewed click on “Suggested Order of Modules”. You will follow the suggested order for the two week course. This is a self-paced course and you can do as many or as few modules a day as you like.
You will be able to take the quiz any time during the last three days (Friday, Saturday or Sunday) of the course. The quiz will be a 30 question multiple choice exam assigned to you in ExamSoft. Once you start the quiz, you will have 1 hour to complete it. If you have conflicts with the available quiz dates, you should contact Ms. Jackson to make arrangements for the exam to be given on a different date.
Blocks 4-7 only