SELECT SCURA - Community-Urology
DIRECTOR FOURTH YEAR DEPARTMENT COURSES: Dr. Alexander Gomelsky
SELECTIVE DIRECTOR: Dr. Alexander Gomelsky, Dr. John Mata
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT: Betty Bass Phone: 318.675.5601
SELECTIVE CATEGORY: Community
DURATION OF ELECTIVE: 4 Weeks
LOCATION: Willis Knighton South and Pierremont Campuses
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 1 (to rotate between WKS & WKP)
SELECTIVE AVAILABLE DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: SCURA
The student will spend 2 weeks each at the Willis Knighton South and Pierremont campuses under the direction of urology faculty.
Primary Goals of Selective
1. For students to observe and participate in community based Urology practice, including exposure to subspecialties of urologic oncology, female urology, and pediatric urology.
2. Students will assist with management of patients in the satellite Urology outpatient clinics and Urology Operative Suites, under the supervision of urology faculty.
3. Enhance skills in performing medical history and physical examination.
4. Enhance knowledge of community health issues and prevention and health maintenance, as they relate to urologic conditions.
1. Independently evaluate office patients and discuss with Urologists and how to improve their history-taking and physical examination skills through practice.
2. Improve medical record documentation and transcription skills.
3. Round with and accompany urologists in hospital, office and OR.
4. Develop self-directed learning by presentation of cases at Grand Rounds.
One case presentation at Urology Grand Rounds conference
(Pass/Fail) Grade will be based on: (1) maintenance of attendance per LSU guidelines; (2) one on one interaction and discussion; and, (3) quality of Grand Rounds presentation. A formative evaluation will be conducted with the student at the 2-week midpoint of their rotation by the faculty and resident physicians followed by a final evaluation at the completion of the selective.
Reading Assignments: As individually assigned
NOTE: Additional course notes are also posted on Moodle.