SELECT SIURA - Inpatient Acting Internship-Urology
DIRECTOR FOURTH YEAR DEPARTMENT COURSES: Dr. Alexander Gomelsky
SELECTIVE CATEGORY: Inpatient Acting Internship
SELECTIVE DIRECTORS: Dr. Alexander Gomelsky, Dr. John Mata, Dr. Kara Barbaian
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT: Betty Bass, 675.5601, Rm 7-303
LOCATION: University Health - Shreveport
NUMBER OF STUDENTS PER 4 WEEK BLOCK: Maximum of 3
SELECTIVE AVAILABLE DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: SIURA
Primary Goals of Selective:
1. Students will have primary clinical responsibility for the care and management of assigned patients on the Urology wards and operative assistant experience for assigned patients in the Urology Operative Suites, under the supervision of urology residents and/or faculty.
2. Students will gain clinical experience in the common and major urologic disorders in patients hospitalized and/or going to surgery for acute or severe chronic urologic disease processes.
3. Skill in performing medical history and physical examination will be enhanced.
4. Students will expand their knowledge of fundamental principles of medicine and specific diseases through participation in conferences and through reading and other self-directed learning modalities.
5. Learn documentation requirements.
6. Be exposed to effects of social, cultural and societal problems and issues on health.
1. Gain inpatient management and operative assistant experience.
2. Serve as the primary caregiver for 3-5 inpatients at a time, functioning as an integral member of the Urology team.
3. Perform initial histories and physical exams, and participate in the development of a differential diagnosis and management plan.
4. Provide direct operative assistance for those Urology patients going to the OR for a variety of open & endoscopic procedures.
5. Actively participate in ward rounds and other educational activities of the department.
Resources for Learning:
Participating Faculty: Drs. Venable, Mata, Elmajian, Gomelsky, Isac, and Siskron
Texts: Blueprints Urology; Author: Stanley Zaslau, M.D., Blackwell Publishing
Hands on Experience: 1st Operative Assistance experience and GU-focused physical exams
Directed Readings: Misc. topics pertinent to assigned inpatients and operatives procedures
Self-Directed Learning: On any related topics to assigned patients’ urologic abnormalities plus reviews on line
“National Medical Student Curriculum in Urology” at www.auanet.org
The student will be evaluated jointly by the attending and resident physicians based upon direct observation of his/ her clinical performance, initiative, and interpersonal/professional skills (e.g., attendance, participation, interaction with patients, family, ancillary staff and other medical personnel). A formative evaluation will be conducted with the student at the 2-week midpoint of their rotation by the faculty and resident physicians followed by a final evaluation at the completion of the selective.
NOTE: Additional course notes are also posted on Moodle.