SELECT SCSRA - Community-Surgery
DIRECTOR FOURTH YEAR DEPARTMENT COURSES: F. Dean Griffen, M.D.
SELECTIVE CATEGORY: Community Outpatient
SELECTIVE DIRECTORS: F. Dean Griffen, M.D., 675.6100, Room 3-203
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT: Debbie Thornhill, 675.6100, Room 3-203
LOCATION: Willis-Knighton North, Christus Schumpert Highland, Rapides Regional Medical Center
NUMBER OF STUDENTS PER 4 WEEK BLOCK: (3) 1 at a time per site
SELECTIVE AVAILABLE DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: SCSRA
Primary Goals of Selective
The student will:
1. Learn operating room protocol in a private hospital.
2. Learn surgical anatomy.
3. Hone surgical skills with assisting, knot tying, and suturing.
4. Learn the lifestyle of a busy, community surgical practice.
The student will:
1. Scrub on available cases.
2. Study scheduled operation the day before and be prepared to answer probing anatomic questions.
3. Practice interpersonal and communication skills in the operating room.
Resources for Learning:
Participating faculty: Dr. Charles Knight; Dr Bill Norwood; Dr. J. Timmer
Texts: Essentials of General Surgery
Hands-on Experience: Outpatient clinics
Computer Assisted Instruction: CD Rom
Directed Readings: According to cases evaluated
Self- Directed Learning: Case studies
* Attendance required 5 days a week.
At the beginning of the second week of the elective, the student will be prompted by the secretary, Ms. Debbie Thornhill, to pick up a Formative Evaluation Form and expedite completion. Once completed, it must be returned to Ms. Thornhill for review. If additional feedback is desired or required, Dr. Griffen will accommodate.
Outcome and Evaluation Measures
At the end of the course, the course director will submit an evaluation of the student’s performance. It will include references to knowledge, skill, and professionalism. Professionalism will be measured in terms of punctual attendance, maturity, approach to the patient, and interaction with faculty and other staff.