SELECT SOENT - Outpatient Head & Neck Clinical Experience
DIRECTOR FOURTH YEAR DEPARTMENT COURSES: Maura Cosetti, MD
SELECTIVE CATEGORY: Outpatient Clinic
SELECTIVE DIRECTORS: Maura Cosetti M.D., 318.675.6262, Room 9-203
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT: Amy Ray, 675.6262, Rm 9-203
LOCATION: LSU Hospital - Shreveport and VAMC - Shreveport
NUMBER OF STUDENTS PER 2 WEEK BLOCK: 2
SELECTIVE AVAILABLE DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: SOENT
Primary Goal of Selective
The purpose of this selective is to gain an introduction to the fundamental concepts and skills utilized in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery in the outpatient setting. Students will also have an opportunity to observe and/or assist in the operating room, should they so desire.
1. To successfully perform and present a pertinent history on either 2 adult patients (if rotating at the VAMC) or 1 adult and 1 pediatric patient (if rotating at LSU Hospital) in the Otolaryngology-HNS clinic with >90% accuracy.
2. To perform a complete head and neck physical exam of an adult and pediatric patient under direct supervision.
3. To propose a reasonable assessment and plan for 1 adult and 1 pediatric patient in the outpatient clinic.
4. To provide at least 1 clinical indication for obtaining an audiogram.
5. To provide at least 1 clinical indication for obtaining at CT scan.
6. To provide at least 1 clinical indication for fiberoptic laryngoscopy.
Resources for Learning:
Participating Faculty: Drs. Stucker, Nathan, Lian, Gardner, Milligan, Aarstad, Little, Gungor, Mehta and Cosetti
Texts: Primary Care Otolaryngology (Second Edition)
Hands on Experience: Clinic/OR
Computer Assisted Instruction:
Directed Readings: Students are expected to read relevant literature so as to be prepared for operative cases as well as conferences. Directed conference reading will depend on timing of rotation.
Self-Directed Learning: Primary Care Otolaryngology
Grade will be based on successful completion of the course specific objectives as well as attendance, punctuality and overall professionalism.