SELECT SOPHT - Ophthalmology Selective
ELECTIVE DIRECTOR: Thomas B. Redens, M.D.
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT: Sherlyn Brown, Room 4-403 Medical School
SELECTIVE CATEGORY: Outpatient Clinic
DURATION: 2 Weeks
LOCATION: University Health - Shreveport
NUMBER OF STUDENTS PER 2 WEEK BLOCK: 2
SELECTIVE AVAILABLE DURING BLOCKS: 3-9
COURSE CODE: SOPHT
**This outpatient selective requires that students keep an attendance log. Each student will be responsible for obtaining a physician’s signature each time he/she reports to work at the Eye Clinic. Blank attendance logs may be obtained from Moodle. **
Primary Goals of Selective:
The goal of the selective is to provide students interested in Ophthalmology as a career a more in-depth and complete introduction to the specialty. Ultimately, the selective rotation serves two purposes; the first is to provide a meaningful month of learning about the eye, and to allow the interested student more time to evaluate if Ophthalmology is, indeed, their lifelong career choice. These goals will be measured by the evaluation of their required mini-grand round presentation and the evaluation form on completion of the rotation.
1. The students will work with the residents and faculty in the examination and treatment of patients with a variety of ocular and medical conditions.
2. Students, by the end of the rotation, will workup new patients and present their findings to their resident or faculty.
3. Students may also participate in ocular surgery (as assistants).
4. At the end of the selective, the student will give a mini-grand round presentation to the residents and faculty. The presentation will be evaluated by the attending residents and faculty members.
5. The specific requirements for reading, procedures, performed, etc., will vary by specialty clinic.
Resources for Learning:
Participating Faculty: Dr. Redens, Kavanaugh, Liang, Schulman, Byrd, and Halpern
Texts: Kansky’s Text of Ophthalmology
Hands-on Experience: Both in the clinic and OR with faculty and residents.
Computer Assisted Instruction: N/A
Directed Readings: Per individual faculty
Based on faculty evaluations / resident evaluations.