SELECT SIOGN - Gynecology Oncology
SELECTIVE DIRECTOR: Destin Black, M.D.
SENIOR CLERKSHIP DIRECTOR: Danielle Cooper, M.D. Phone: 318.675.7440
DURATION OF ELECTIVE: 4 weeks
LOCATION OF ELECTIVE: LSU Health Sciences Center / University Health
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 1
ELECTIVE OFFERED DURING BLOCKS: all
COURSE CODE: SIOGN
Primary Goals of Elective:
To obtain advanced clinical and surgical experience in inpatient and outpatient care of gynecologic oncology patients.
The student will be able to:
1. (PC) Gather essential and accurate information about their patient.
2. (PC, MK) Identify and discuss common gynecologic malignancies, most cancer pathologic types, and general recommendations for treatment.
3. (PC, MK) Apply staging criteria to make informed recommendations about diagnostic and therapeutic interventions based on patient information and preferences, up to date scientific evidence and clinical judgment.
4. (I&CS, MK) Counsel and educate patients and their families concerning their specific gyn malignancy.
5. (MK) understand anatomic relationships as specific to different gyn malignancies and surgical techniques.
6. (P, SBP) Work constructively with all members of the healthcare team in order to arrange appropriate follow up , consults requested or surveillance for gyn onc patients.
7. (P, SBP) Attend Tumor board to observe the team interaction of physicians and specialists to create management strategies for these tumor patients.
8. (P) Demonstrate punctuality, appropriate demeanor, professionalism, compassion and personal appearance for patient interactions.
Resources for Learning:
Participating Faculty: Dr. Destin Black, Dr. Robin Lacour
Residents on rotation will provide didactic lectures on gyn onc topics.
Students will attend all Tuesday Am conferences and Tumor board.
Text: Handbook for Principles and Practice of Gynecologic Oncology. Second Edition.
Douglas A. Levine et al.
Reference: Berek and Hacker’s Gynecologic Oncology, 6th edition
The senior student will be evaluated by the faculty and /or residents who are assigned to the specific block period using a standard competency based evaluation form based on the above objectives.
The course is pass/fail.