ELECT ENERA - Neuroradiology
ELECTIVE DIRECTOR(S): Eduardo Gonzalez- Toledo, M.D., Ph.D. PHONE: 318.675.6229
DURATION OF ELECTIVE: 2 or 4 weeks
LOCATION OF ELECTIVE: LSUHSC-Shreveport
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 2 (1 for 2 weeks and 1 for 4 weeks) MINIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 1
ELECTIVE OFFERED DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: ENERA
Primary Goal of Elective:
To familiarize the senior medical student with the subspecialty area of Neuroradiology, including the different imaging modalities available, especially CT and MRI.
Specific Objectives for this Elective:
- To give the student a basic understanding of the computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance (MRI) anatomy of the brain and spine.
- To give the student an understanding of CT and MRI techniques.
- To show CT and MR images of the most common pathologies in neurological and neurosurgical patients.
Resources Necessary for Learning:
The daily read out sessions with the radiology resident and the assigned faculty on this service.
References: Osborn AG, Blaser SI, Salzman KL. “Pocket Radiologist. Brain”. WB Saunders. 2002
- Professionalism: Punctual attendance, maturity, and interaction with faculty and residents.
- Participation during the read out sessions and when asked questions.
Brief Description of Activities:
- To attend the Neuroradiology read out sessions from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- To attend the daily Radiology noon conferences as well as the monthly Neuroanatomy/Neuroradiology and Neuropathology/Neuroradiology conferences.
- To meet with the elective director, Dr. Gonzalez-Toledo, for dedicated teaching on anatomy and pathology topics.
- To collect at least 10 cases representing the most common pathologies on a CD.
HOURS PER WEEK
CONF 5_ HRS WARD HRS LAB HRS LIBRARY 10 HRS
OR HRS CLINIC 20 HRS LECTURE HRS READING 5 HRS
TOTAL NUMBER OF HOURS PER WEEK: 40_