ELECT ERADE - Angiography/Interventional Radiology
Course Director: Chaitanya Ahuja, M.D.
Duration of Elective: 2 weeks or 4 weeks
Location of Elective: University Health Hospital 1-G
Maximum Number of Students: 2 (1 for 2 weeks and 1 for 4 weeks)
Elective Offered During Blocks: All
Course Code: ERADE (4 week code) ERADE2 (2 week code)
Primary Goal of Elective:
To give the senior medical student a basic understanding of the performance and interpretation of angiography and interventional techniques. Additionally, to have hands-on experience with image-guided interventions.
Specific Objectives for this Elective:
- To give the student a basic understanding of the indications for the various Interventional procedures done.
- To give the student an understanding of interventional techniques.
- To show the interventional management of common pathologies such as abscess drainages, stent placements and biopsies using CT and Ultrasound guidance.
Resources Necessary for Learning:
The daily patient rounding and performance of the procedures with the radiology resident and the assigned faculty on this service.
Will be suggested by the resident and Dr. Ahuja.
- Professionalism: Punctual attendance, maturity, and interaction with faculty and residents.
- Participation during the procedures, presentation of the patient to the faculty before the procedure, and when rounding on the patients in the hospital or in the clinic.
Brief Description of Activities:
- The student will work directly with the resident and staff on the angiography/interventional service. This will include pre-procedure consultations, performing and interpreting examinations, consultation for clinic patients and post-procedure follow-up.
- The student will be able to assist in cases and perform simple procedures under supervision.
- The student is expected to make rounds and present the patients to the faculty prior to the procedure and during the follow-up of the patients.
- The student will report to the Angiography Suite (1-G) at 7:30 a.m. until at least 4:00 p.m.
- The student will attend the daily Radiology noon conferences.
HOURS PER WEEK
CONF 10_ HRS WARD HRS LAB 30 HRS LIBRARY HRS
OR HRS CLINIC HRS LECTURE HRS READING HRS
TOTAL NUMBER OF HOURS PER WEEK: 40_