ELECT EPSYB - Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
ELECTIVE DIRECTOR(S): Marc Colon, M.D. PHONE: 318. 675.6045
DURATION OF ELECTIVE: 4 Weeks
LOCATION OF ELECTIVE: Brentwood Hospital and LSUHSC Outpatient Clinic/Faculty Clinic
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 2 MINIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 1
ELECTIVE OFFERED DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: EPSYB
OBJECTIVES AND/OR GOALS
The student will be exposed to some of the information about child development and child and adolescent psychopathology. Attempts will be made to offer both verbal and written sources of learning in these areas. In addition to the didactic exposure, the student will have the opportunity to observe and then perform interviews with families, children and adolescents. These interviews may then be followed up with subsequent visits by the student in order to get some mini-exposure to continued evaluation. Along with learning evaluations and interview techniques, the student will have the opportunity to observe adolescent group therapy process at Brentwood Hospital, as well as be exposed to children and adolescents in therapy at the LSUHSC Outpatient Clinic. The student will be at these two locations during the month and will be under direct faculty supervision during that time.
SPECIFIC DUTIES OF SENIOR STUDENTS
1. Students will participate in patients’ interviews on initial (new patient) and follow up clinic visits under faculty and resident supervision.
2. Students will improve medical and psychiatric history skills, physical exam, and mental status exam skills
3. Students will learn to adapt the history, physical exam, and mental status exam to what is needed for different patients.
4. General medical and psychiatric knowledge and disease-specific information for common and major medical and psychiatric problems treated in the outpatient setting will be gained through conferences, seminars, and self-directed learning modalities.
5. Students will learn about aspects of preventative medical and psychiatric care
6. Students will learn documentation requirements.
No more than 3 days during the 4 week rotation can be taken for interviews unless approved in advance by director. ANY absences in excess of 3 days will be required to be made up before the evaluation will be completed and turned in.
RESOURCES FOR LEARNING
The student will participate in the evaluation and treatment of at least one patient daily. The student will follow a minimum of 3 patients weekly during the course of the selective. The student will have individual supervision weekly. Faculty will observe at least one patient interview during the rotation.
Participating Faculty: Rita Horton, M.D./Lee Stevens, M.D./Ed Leatherman, M.D.
Texts: Synopsis of Psychiatry by Kaplan and Sadock
Hands-on Experience: clinic and hospital Computer Assisted Instruction: on-line Directed Readings: y
Self-Directed Learning: y
HOURS PER WEEK
CONF _ HRS WARD HRS LAB HRS LIBRARY HRS
OR HRS CLINIC HRS LECTURE HRS READING HRS
TOTAL NUMBER OF HOURS PER WEEK: 40_