ELECT EPEDP - Pediatric Study/Research
ELECTIVE DIRECTOR(S): Jo h n V an c h i e r e, M.D. PHONE: 318.675.6081
DURATION OF ELECTIVE: 4 Weeks
LOCATION OF ELECTIVE: LSU Health Sciences Center
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 3 MINIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 1
ELECTIVE OFFERED DURING BLOCKS: All
COURSE CODE: EPEDP CONTACT: Brenda Kolniak, Rm. 5-303, 675.6081
Non LSU Students: none
MUST HAVE PRIOR CONSENT TO SCHEDULE - Please visit Moodle for more information
- Understanding the similarities and differences between clinical research and routine patient care.
- Sharing research-related information effectively with other clinicians and staff.
- Prioritizing and organizing work effectively.
- Functioning as a “team player” with attendings, ancillary staff and others involved in research studies.
- Develop hypotheses for evaluation during the rotation using clinical, translational or basic science techniques, as appropriate.
- Independently collect data for a clinical research project or quality improvement project in Pediatrics
- Identify key principles for the ethical conduct of clinical research.
- Identify the common ethical conflicts presented by clinical research and the measures that can be implemented to protect subjects.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Write organized, appropriately focused, and accurate research notes
- Organize data into presentable formats (digital, poster, oral presentation).
- Demonstrate personal accountability and respect when interacting with members of the research team.
- Demonstrate punctuality and ability to complete research-related tasks efficiently.
- Demonstrate the appropriate utilization of research infrastructure to answer clinical questions.
SPECIFIC DUTIES OF SENIOR STUDENTS
The Senior student will work directly under the supervision of a member of the Pediatric faculty on a clinical, translational or basic research project.
READING ASSIGNMENTS: Arranged with faculty advisors specific to project area.
HOURS PER WEEK
CONF 5 HRS LAB 30 HRS LIBRARY 5 HRS READING 5 HRS
TOTAL NUMBER OF HOURS PER WEEK: 45