ELECT ENSRS - Neurosurgery Research Elective
ELECTIVE DIRECTOR(S): Anil Nanda, M. D. / Christina Notarianni, M. D.
DURATION OF ELECTIVE: 4 Weeks
ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT: LaToya Hemphill
LOCATION OF ELECTIVE: LSUHSC, Willis Knighton, Christus Schumpert Hospitals
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 2
ELECTIVE OFFERED DURING BLOCKS: ALL
COURSE NUMBER: ENSRS
MUST HAVE PRIOR CONSENT TO SCHEDULE - Information is outlined in Moodle
Objectives and Goals:
The student will conduct an approved research project under the direction of neurosurgery faculty.
- The student will learn how to complete IRB approval and assist in IRB approval for their project
- The student will learn how to collect and maintain data for evaluation
- The student will understand basic statistical analysis of their data under the supervision of departmental faculty
- The student will learn how to write a medical research paper.He/She will be expected to produce an abstract and manuscript for faculty approval on their project
- If the research is an ongoing project or uncompleted at the end of the elective, the student will be present a powerpoint presentation of their current data and the goals of the completion of the study during one of the weekly case conferences.
Will be directed under the supervision of the faculty advisor
A final evaluation will be based on participation in the project, punctuality, maturity, and production of a manuscript at the end of the elective.
HOURS PER WEEK
CONF HRS WARD HRS LAB HRS LIBRARY HRS
OR HRS CLINIC HRS LECTURE HRS READING HRS
TOTAL NUMBER OF HOURS PER WEEK: 40