ELECT EFAMC - Acting Internship: Family Medicine Ward Team
COURSE DIRECTOR(S): Tammy Baudoin, M.D. PHONE: 318.675.5347
LOCATION OF ELECTIVE: University Hospital and Family Medicine Center
DURATION OF ELECTIVE: 2 Weeks CONTACT: Melissa Joy Reger
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 1* MINIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 1
ELECTIVE OFFERED DURING BLOCKS: Block 2-11
COURSE CODE: EFAMC USMLE Step II Recommended
*Total 2 students Elec/Selec
NOTE: THIS ELECTIVE MAY NOT BE DROPPED WITHIN 2 MONTHS OF THE STARTING DATE. OBJECTIVES AND/OR GOALS
• Familiarity with scope of in-patient medicine commonly managed by family medicine faculty and house officers at
• Added knowledge and competence with respect to patients managed by the family medicine ward team.
• Familiarity with inpatient and outpatient procedures done in family medicine.
• Sense of having been part of the family medicine house officer corps.
• describe types of patients/diseases managed by in-patient service.
• directly manage assigned patients’ care under supervision of faculty and house staff.
• Observe a beginning house officer of the family medicine service and discuss officer duties with regard to assigned patients/diseases.
• present assigned patients’ history, physical examination, assessment, and plan of management to the attending physician.
• Develop and demonstrate a plan to the attending physician a basic level pathophysiology and natural history of assigned patients’ diseases.
SPECIFIC DUTIES OF SENIOR STUDENTS
• Assisting family medicine ward team in the care of assigned patients.
• Accompanying members of the ward team as they evaluate patients in clinics and emergency rooms.
• Completing a study of the diseases of assigned patients.
• Attending conferences, journal club, and social get-togethers.
READING ASSIGNMENTS - These will be identified as an integral part of patient management.
Visiting Students: Only visiting students from U.S., Canadian, and Caribbean universities will be considered. Students must present a CA along with documentation of passing scores of 80 or above on initial attempts of Step 1 and Step 2 CK/CS to be considered. Students must submit all documentation with the application.