The page uses Browser Access Keys to help with keyboard navigation. Click to learn moreSkip to Navigation

Different browsers use different keystrokes to activate accesskey shortcuts. Please reference the following list to use access keys on your system.

Alt and the accesskey, for Internet Explorer on Windows
Shift and Alt and the accesskey, for Firefox on Windows
Shift and Esc and the accesskey, for Windows or Mac
Ctrl and the accesskey, for the following browsers on a Mac: Internet Explorer 5.2, Safari 1.2, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 6+.

We use the following access keys on our gateway

n Skip to Navigation
k Accesskeys description
h Help
    Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
  Nov 25, 2017
School of Allied Health Professions Student Handbook 2016-2017

Guidelines for Students with Disabilities

LSU Health Shreveport’s School of Allied Health Professions (SAHP) is committed to making students with disabilities full participants in its programs, services, and activities through its compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 & the supplemental ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA). The Office of Academic Affairs works with students with disabilities and faculty for the school to accomplish this goal.

Technical Standards

The School of Allied Health Professions has established Technical Standards for its programs of study delineating the minimum physical, cognitive, emotional, and social requirements necessary to participate fully in all aspects of academic and clinical education expected by a specified program of study. One’s ability to meet the technical standards is a prerequisite for admission and continuation in a program of study. Applicants and enrolled students must be able to meet all technical standards with or without reasonable accommodations. In addition to the Technical Standards disseminated with the application packet, they may also be found in the current edition of the LSUHSC Catalog or Bulletin.

Roles and Responsibilities

Students with disabilities are responsible for:

  • Completing a Request for Accommodations from the SAHP Office of Admissions and Records prior to the initial semester the request is made. This request should be submitted in a timely manner to allow for processing by the Office of Academic Affairs.
  • Providing The Office of Academic Affairs verification (medical documentation, evidence of previous accommodations and/or testing results from licensed providers) of the disabling condition’s impact upon the student in the educational environment.
  • Consulting with Associate Dean for Academic Affairs regarding specific accommodation requests for any clarification or adaptations.
  • Once accommodations are approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the student provides each instructor with a copy of their approved accommodations. This may occur through a letter or email from the Dean of Academic Affairs to the student’s program director to disseminate the accommodations on an as needed basis–at the student request.
  • Requests for accommodations for clinical rotations or fieldwork need to be submitted as soon as possible after enrollment in the SAHP to facilitate clinical placement. This is due to the extended time it takes for off campus training sites to accept and agree to requested accommodations. Although efforts will be made to place all students in a clinical site or fieldwork location, we cannot guarantee a site placement if the request for accommodations is made in less than one year prior to starting the clinical rotation or fieldwork in question..
  • Monitoring his or her own academic progress.
  • Contacting the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs if there are changes in requested accommodations or academic progress or both.
  • Contacting the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs prior to subsequent semesters that the student chooses to continue accommodations to obtain approval for continuation.  At this time, the student may choose to revise initial accommodations if needed.
  • Faculty are responsible for:
  • Designing course materials with accessibility in mind.
  • Providing accommodations recommended by the office of Academic Affairs to make course content accessible to students with disabilities.
  • Consulting with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs if a question arises regarding specific recommendations for accommodations.
  • Working with students to determine how an accommodation should be provided in a particular class.
  • Maintaining confidentiality regarding the student’s accommodations or any related information.
    • PLEASE NOTE:  After receiving an accommodations letter, instructors have up to 5 business days to provide the approved accommodations.  This is to allow time for any administrative planning that may need to occur.  Thus, students should request, pick up and deliver accommodation letters well in advance of class they are enrolled in and seeking these adjustments.

Office of Academic Affairs is responsible for:

  • Working with the student to determine appropriate accommodations for students with disabilities.
  • Developing letters of verification for the student to provide to instructors recommending specific accommodations (If agreed upon by student and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, a list of approved accommodations may be sent to each appropriate instructor via email or program director to be disseminated on as needed basis to faculty).
  • Working with students and instructors to provide approved accommodations.
  • Maintaining records for each student with a disability.
  • Providing disability-related counseling and consultation.

Additional Information

  • Who Is Protected under the ADA?

The ADA protects the rights of people who have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits their ability to perform one or more major life activities, such as breathing, walking, reading, thinking, seeing, hearing, or working. It does not apply to people whose impairment is unsubstantial, such as someone who is slightly nearsighted or someone who is mildly allergic to pollen. However, it does apply to people whose disability is substantial but can be moderated or mitigated, such as someone with diabetes that can normally be controlled with medication or someone who uses leg braces to walk, as well as to people who are temporarily substantially limited in their ability to perform a major life activity. The ADA also applies to people who have a record of having a substantial impairment (e.g., a person with cancer that is in remission) or are regarded as having such an impairment (e.g., a person who has scars from a severe burn).

  • Who Has Responsibilities under the ADA?

Title II of the ADA applies to all State and local governments and all departments, agencies, special purpose districts, and other instrumentalities of State or local government (“public entities”). It applies to all programs, services, or activities of public entities, from adoption services to zoning regulation. Title II entities that contract with other entities to provide public services (such as non-profit organizations that operate drug treatment programs or convenience stores that sell state lottery tickets) also have an obligation to ensure that their contractors do not discriminate against people with disabilities.

  • To view model testing accommodation practices and for more information about the ADA, please visit ADA website or call our toll-free number:
    • ADA Website:
    • ADA Information Line: 800-514-0301 (Voice) and 800-514-0383 (TTY); M-W, F 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Th 12:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)
    • Model Testing Accommodation Practices Resulting From Recent Litigation:  

Request for Academic Accomodations

For more information, view the Request for Academic Accomodations Form  (PDF).